Info Panel
You are here:   Home  /  25 Year Timeline  -  Page 2

1938

The interior of Harwood Library. On the table at the center of the image is an issue of Current History magazine. The man on the cover is Adolph Hitler. (Picture …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1926

On April 6th, 1926, Harwood Library is officially opened. The collection has now grown to about 37,000 volumes. The building is popular with students, although the Librarian, William Daggett, later …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1923

After Drury’s Semi-Centennial celebration, President Thomas Nadal announces that a new library building will be erected. Judge Charles Harwood donates $50,000 dollars for the construction of a library to be …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1894

The Library is moved from the West Academy Building to the first floor of Stone Chapel. It will remain there for the next thirty-two years. (Picture of Stone Chapel)

Oct 2017 Read More →

1893

Professor Edward M. Shepard becomes the College Librarian. The collection now contains 21,000 volumes, and Professor Shepard boasts that the Drury College Library is “the sixth largest between the Mississippi …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1882

The Library’s collection now contains about 15,000 books and 17,000 pamphlets. The collection can no longer be contained in Fairbanks Hall, and is moved to the second floor of Drury’s …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1879

The Drury College Library is now about 5,000 volumes strong. The Library is moved out of the Model School Building and into the basement of Fairbanks Hall. (Picture of Fairbanks …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1877

The College starts a “One Book for the Library” drive. 3,600 Congregational ministers across the country are each asked to donate one book, or $2, which is the average cost …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1876

On one of his frequent fundraising trips to Boston, President Morrison meets Mr. Knapp of the Boston Public Library, who offers to donate duplicate and withdrawn books to Drury College. …

Oct 2017 Read More →

1874

The College Library is moved to the Model School Building, which once sat where Bay Hall is now located. (Picture of The Model School Building)

Nov 2018 Read More →